- The event of placing an individual (patient) under treatment or observation in a hospital or other health care facility.
- A patient is admitted when he/she is provided with room, bed, board and continuous nursing care in an area where patients usually stay overnight.
- Day of admission is the day on which a person is admitted to a hospital, occupies a bed and given a hospital number.
- The total number (count) of patients admitted as inpatients during a 12-month period.
- Patients admitted more than once during the year are counted separately for each episode.
- Newborns are not included in this measure.