- The average number of staffed beds that are occupied each day.
- The average number of hospital inpatients per day.
- It is a measure of hospital’s inpatient service capacity.
- ADC is an indicator of the volume of services provided in a hospital. Research shows that hospitals that treat a large number of patients tend to provide better care and have improved outcomes for treatments and procedures.
- Average daily census provides a snapshot of how the hospital is using the available beds.
Calculation of ADC
- The average daily census is calculated by dividing the total number of patient days during a given period by the number of days in that period.
- or by dividing the total inpatient days during the year by 365 days.